Saturday, April 19, 2008

A Nose Story

My new blog friend, Fresh and Fun, posted a creative blog on smells that transport you to a different time and place. She put out a challenge to list our individual smells, so here are mine. What a fun idea!

1. The rubber on new shoes for school. It was so much torture not being able to wear them until the first day of school.

2. The smell of my husbands clothes when we were dating. This probably sounds wierd, but everyones laundry smells different. I remember hugging Casey and then missing that smell that was always part of him.

3. Sharpened pencils. When machanical pencils came on the scene it just wasn't the same. Nothing spurs on creativity like a newly sharpened pencil.

4. The smell of the school dumpsters on a hot day. Ok..Gross, I know! But hear me out. Remember being out on recess and it being so warm outside? You were running around like crazy but there was always a slight breeze blowing the dirty smell of the huge dumpsters through the playground.

5. Grandma's house. Always a warm, welcoming smell that wraps you in extreme comfort.

6. Dairy Queen's butterscotch Dilly Bars. This was a favorite pasttime for me and my Grandpa J. We would take a ride on the bikes and then stop by for a fun treat.

7. Acrylic paint and new canvas. Yea! The creative juices start flowing! :)

8. Stew cooking when I woke up from my nap. I would wake up so foggy, but all I could smell was the thick fragrance of homemade stew.

9. Sawdust. I love hugging my dad after he has been working in his wood shop. The smell of sawdust is so comforting.

10. The smell of chlorine...brings me back to swim lessons, swim team, and all around reminds me of summer time and no obligations.

What are your favorite smells? I'd love to know!

2 comments:

Elise said...

Hi Erin

It's amazing to think that certain smells can be associated with feelings of comfort and that the memory of some smells last for a lifetime.

What a fun list you have come up with.

My favourite scents would have to be those from nature: roses (double delight is my all time favourite fragrant rose), frangipani's, freshly cut grass and the smell of rain.

April said...

Ahhh...beautiful...Chlorine...how could I forget Chlorine...great post.

have a happy day friend....