Monday, April 21, 2008

Do I want you to be me?

"Accept him whose faith is weak, without passing judgment on disputable matters."
Romans 14:1
"You, then, why do you look down on your brother? For we will all stand before God's judgment seat...Therefore let us stop passing judgment on one another. Instead, make up your mind not to put any stumbling block or obstacle in your brothers way."
Romans 14:10,13
"Let us therefore make every effort to do what leads to peace and to mutual edification."
Romans 14:19
"Each of us should please his neighbor for his good, to build him up. For even Christ did not please himself but, as it is written: 'The insults of those who insult you have fallen on me.'"
Romans 15:2-3
"Accept one another, then, just as Christ accepted you, in order to bring praise to God."
Romans 15:7

These verses have haunted me the last few weeks as I examine the things in my life that are so contradictory to what each verse teaches. I've been appalled at the amount of thought, joking comment, and action that leaves myself ultimately having the potential to tear someone down.

We live in a world that lives in the moment to moment, not thinking through the consequences, or even past our own initial feelings. We "joke," become impatient with, and even sling insults at those who are different than us, with no regard to the impact that it may have on anyone other than ourselves. Instead, we are left with a society constantly tearing down those who are most precious in this world - the very people God created in His own image.

I've been wrestling with the fine line of friendly banter and actions that are mutually edifying. Of course it is fun, and even appropriate at times, to mess around with those you are close with, teasing each other about what makes you different and having a good laugh. But what about all those people that I just expect to be just like me? What about those people that irritate me because they are different than myself, or those people who don't "have it all together?" How do I accept them as Christ does (15:7) and live to please them in order to build them up (15:2)?

My pastor made a statement about grace, stating that you cannot truly embrace the act of worship or the personal relationship with Christ until you have accepted the idea of grace. It is only through grace that we are able to be in the Lord's presence. The fact that, even through all my dust and filth, He has chosen me to be with Him and to love me unconditionally. I'd like to take this statement a little further and say that you cannot truly accept people for who they are until you realize that you, yourself, are under grace. By truly living as if you could not have done anything to deserve the love and blessings in your life, you are more able to look at everyone else through the lens of grace by which God looks at you. Not one of us is better than the other - we can all be covered by His grace. Praise be to Jesus!

As I continue to wrestle with this idea, I ask the Lord to continue to press on my spirit this idea of grace, that I may live my life as if I truly believe I am under it's blanket. In doing so, I pray that I become more compassionate and accepting of people around me. I pray that I become more soft spirited and loving, just as Christ is loving towards all.

4 comments:

April said...

honest..inspiring...and thought provoking...thanks for causing me to look inward tonight...I appreciate you and your faith so much

Elise said...

Hi Erin

Thank you for challenging some of my own thoughts. Your personal reflections are always so interesting and thought provoking.

I have just awarded you with the "You Make My day Award". Please come and see on my blog.

Tabitha said...

What wonderful words ~ really thought provoking.

Thank you for commenting on my blog, please visit again soon.
Your little girl is so beautiful and I love her name.
Warmest wishes,
Tabitha X

Stephanie said...

Wow...that truly thought provoking words. Very powerful and very moving...