Monday, April 14, 2008

Friendly Wisdom

In the last few days, many wise friends have reminded me to "enjoy these moments. They fly by all too quickly." This spurred on thoughts in my head...

All my life I have struggled with the "I can't waits..." "I can't wait to have my drivers license." "I can't wait to start dating." "I can't wait to be in the 'real' world" and the list goes on. Even now, with my precious baby, I catch myself thinking about the adventures to come, secretly, yet not consistently, wanting them to hurry up and arrive.

Why are we never completely content where we are at? Why do we wish we could see down the road to what seems like a better time in life, void of the present struggles? Yet, once there, we always want to move on. Why is it so hard to realize that the best point of life is exactly where we are at that moment?

Well, today I have had plenty of time to reflect on just this thought. Poor Mia hasn't been feeling well all night with a slight fever anda huge case of the snuggles (more than normal). With mommy's arms being the only place she can sleep or be calm, I've reflected on all the thing that will vanish in just a matter of time. So here is my decision: I choose to try and forget about the things that have to be done and try not to imagine the future when some things will be "easier." Instead, I will treasure these moments when I am my baby's entire world. I will long for the moments when she freaks out because I'm not there. I will giggle every time my baby smiles at me. I will crave the days when she just needs to sleep in my arms, knowing that one day this will be just a memory.

Dear Lord ~
Please teach me to slow down and focus on those things that are truly eternal. Give me patience for the everyday. Please help me to eat up these precious moments with Mia in order to truly enjoy the job You have set before me. Thank you so much for entrusting Casey and me with your precious child. We could not ask for more.
Amen

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love checking in and reading your blogs! It helps me stay up to date with what's going on with you, but it does make me miss you WAYYY more!! Love you!!

~Nikki

emily freeman said...

Hi Erin, Thanks for stopping by and chatting with me :) You are truly in the thick of transition with your first year of marriage AND a newborn...WOW girl. You go. I really appreciated your comment. I think most every mom can relate with the mix of emotions that come with such transitions (esp. ones that come with so much lack of sleep!) I really believe the Lord is gracious and compassionate with us in the midst of trying to figure out how to just BE with him even as our roles have changed overnight.

This was a great post, by the way. I love the reminder to live in this present moment.

Allikaye's Mama said...

Love you - and I tagged you on my blog!

Elise said...

What a beautiful post. It's all too easy to get caught up in the monotony and feel discontent, I'm guilty of doing it myself sometimes. But like you, I have made the choice to cherish the present, because these are precious times to be enjoyed.

Good on you for making the choice to live in and appreciate the present.

Anonymous said...

A BIG HUGE "AMEN"! This is a life time prayer addressed to our Abba Father! GGS

Anonymous said...

I loved reading this blog! You are an amazing sister! Love you!!

~Em

Karen~ said...

Hi Erin, I found your blog through April's and I have enjoyed reading about you and your family. As you have said, people tell you to enjoy these times in your life especially with the birth of your new baby girl. Of course that news isn't earth shattering to us and we know it but I am hear to tell you, time will fly. My son will turn 15 years old in July and I can't even begin to comprehend it. To me, it feels like I just had him. Once we become parents, all those little things become so precious and that's how it should be. God is good and what a gift he has given us to be a parent. Have a great Sunday!

Karen~