Wednesday, June 24, 2009

I'm a barbie girl...

As a mother of a rapidly growing daughter, my eyes have become more aware of the poor image young girls have given themselves. Everywhere I look I see young, impressionable girls settling themselves into an image that hinders them soaring past mediocre. Young girls, dressed in clothing short of a prostitute label, strutting their stuff for all to observe, hanging on the arms of boys going nowhere fast. Since when did this become the ultimate dream? When do girls decide that this image exudes beauty and fame, unlike the modest, adorable clothing that line department store racks and truly show off a feminine frame?

The other day I was in Wal-Mart when a young girl walked in who immediately made my heart drop. Not only was her outfit unbecoming of her size, but it left nothing to the imagination. She strutted after a boy who seemed to have no interest in her other than the quick "dog like" calls and signals he flung her way. As I left the store with my gorgeous daughter, I prayed, "Oh Lord, please help us to teach our daughter what is truly holy and lovely in your eyes." As quickly as I finished the Wal-Mart Greeter shouted out "I hope you never let your daughter dress like that!" I grinned a "me too" smile, with a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach.

The loss of innocence. Something I am not looking forward to in parenting.

No comments: