Sunday, September 30, 2012

60% there

NOTE: This blog contains serious thoughts and feelings of a postpartum mommy desperately trying to lose pregnancy weight number three.

Five weeks ago I rigorously started a new diet and workout routine to lose the tremendous amount of pregnancy weight that decided to take up residence. For some reason, after number three, the hint to leave is not easily received by the unwanted visitor on my thighs....arms...face...well, you name it! So, I started a ketogenic diet which basically teaches my body to use my fat cells as energy instead of depending on carbs. It is a low carb (under 20 g/day), high fat and protein diet. However, unlike the Adkins diet, it allows me one day of carb eating so that I'm not starving my body from all that is out there, ultimately teaching me how to keep the weight off when I do indulge a little bit. Now, let me please say that this type of diet isn't something to live by your entire life, but rather a means to an end where you feel comfortable in maintaining your weight loss.

My first worry when I investigated this diet was the results it would have on breast feeding. I was unwilling to even try if it would jeopardize that. However, since I am not concentrating on cutting calories, and I am truly eating more wholesome foods like spinach, broccoli, eggs, meats, etc. I am able to keep up my milk supply. I would even argue that in some sense it is more whole as my calories aren't consumed in junk food. Every calorie that is consumed is good for you and not wasted (minus maybe diet coke...lol). And as my son has gained almost 3 lbs in the last five weeks and grown 2 inches, I feel pretty good about my current decision.

So what do I eat throughout the day? Remember that my diet is truly focused on fat with protein.

Sample
Breakfast:
Regular coffee w/ a tsp of Coconut Oil
2 egg omelet with mushrooms, cheese and ham (or bacon)

Lunch:
Chicken Curry Salad (mixed with celery and almonds)
Avocado Half

Dinner:
Meatloaf wrapped in bacon (recipe modified to not contain any bread or tomato sauce)
Broccoli with butter and salt

Snacks:
2 TBS of Natural Peanut Butter with Celery
or
String Cheese
or
Handful of natural almonds

In addition to the strict diet, I also strive to workout five days a week.  Tuesdays and Thursdays are strictly cardio days. The other days contain a warm up of cardio (15-20 minutes) with Monday's focus on ab/core strength, Wednesday's on lower body/legs, and Friday's focus on arms and back. It has been a good mix for me and I can feel myself getting stronger and leaner.

Saturday mornings are weigh-in days, as Saturday night is my cheat night ( I LOVE Saturday nights!!). My goal is 2 lbs a week and, for the most part, I have been able to keep to that goal. This will get me to goal weight by the end of the calendar year. Now, I do want to say that at this point of my journey I have technically lost all of my pregnancy weight with Kasen (child number three.) The remainder of the weight is what was still lingering from the other two pregnancies. :)

I'm pleasantly surprised with the results and how I feel while on the diet. I even find that, after carb night, I look forward to getting back into my routine. I will say, though, that I am looking forward to the end of the year when I can put this all behind me and not worry about it any more!

Happy Dieting! (I think that is an oxymoron)


No comments: