Monday, October 4, 2010

Friendships


As a little girl, making friends always came rather easy for me. I naturally found a way to fit in with everyone, and though always seeming to be in that awkward stage, most kids seemed to enjoy my company. I would gravitate to those who always played hopscotch, calling them my besties, and then a few months later switch to those who spend most time on the monkey bars.  And so on and so forth.  All the while feeling connected and rooted in meaningful friendships.

As I have grown up, it amazes me how much more difficult it is to create those meaningful friendships even though there is so much more to share and relate.  Sure, there is time to build those friendships as school, social activities and sometimes part-time jobs are all centered around yourself and time to enjoy other people and those friendships.  Life is conveniently "all about you" and you are able to do as you please.

As a woman, friendships are particularly important for encouraging and building up as we surf, sometimes muddle, through this thing we call life.  And yet, this is the time we tend to forget about outside friendships, totally consumed with the title of employee/mom/wife, too exhausted to think of anything more.

For too long, I have operated in this mode.  Hanging on tightly to old friendships, and trying to create new friendships stuck between the superficial and deep friendship level with never enough time to get anywhere.

Recently, I had a chance to go to a conference with a bunch of ladies I respect and admire for many different reasons.  I am humbled to be included in their desire to put forth an effort in creating an accountability community full of encouragement and truth.  With time as our only challenge, eventually we hope to finally find those childhood frienships that once came so easily.

I am so thankful for all who choose to pour into my life and allow me to call them friend. 


No comments: