Monday, September 21, 2009

Potty Training

**Censored: Non-parents of an 18 month old may find this blog inappropriate or crude as small amounts of toilet "humor" have been noted**

I've never been one to think that there was a right age for anything, especially when they are younger and learning the world around them. So, when our 17 month old starts talking about going "poop" we jumped on the opportunity of making a big deal of using the potty. Sitting on the potty immediately became the thing to do. When mommy had to go potty, it seemed to be the main attraction, thus encouraging Mia to start thinking and understanding when she would need to go potty.

My now 18 month old just went poop in the toilette for the first time this weekend! We were so proud of her, and by our reaction to this momentous occasion, one would have thought she had just won a million dollars. But our reaction only spurred on many more "potty" breaks that never really left any surprise floating below, but rather encouraged the whole routine:
  • Sit her precious bottom on her "cushy tushy" potty seat
  • wipe with big girl toilette paper
  • flush the potty with mommy
  • wave good bye to the water
  • close the toilette seat
  • wash hands in the big girl sink
  • get showered with kisses and hugs for a job well done

What a fun stage to be going through! And so much fun to not have to clean up a bottom from that nasty mess!

3 comments:

Allikaye's Mama said...

That is such a good perspective to have..."fun stage". I am so thankful that we are finished with that stage! Let me know if you need any advice...empathy...or ideas...whether they will work or not - that is the question!
Yay for Mia starting the first stages of the potty!

KarenRuth said...

That is awesome! Yea Mia and and Yea for you guys! It is always so fun to read about your experiences, and to get ideas before Ady hits the next stages.
Hope you are doing well!

cristyfrisch said...

I am in IL. and my Saturday flight was right at the same time as the post office is open for my hubby to drop your envelope off for me. SO, he was going to drive it by your house after work for me today, I hope that is alright...he will just leave it on your mat, so be watching for it alright!!! :) I have a blog too, more for just photography, but I am following yours now. I had not been following any till just a month ago, and now I am adding to my list daily! Check out Pioneer woman's blog if you have not, she is insane AWESOME!!!! Hope you and your amazing family are great! I will blog you as soon as I am home!!! :) cristy